What To Do In Time Of Bereavement
What To Do If Someone Dies
It is a legal requirement for a doctor to confirm that someone has passed away. There is no need to move the patient. If a doctor has recently seen the patient, a death certificate can normally be issued. However, in the event of unexpected death, the doctor will need to notify the coroner.
If death occurs at home
1. Telephone the doctor. He or she will visit to confirm death has taken place.
2. Contact the funeral director.
3. Collect doctor’s death certificate from the surgery. (You will be told when this will be available for collection.)
When death occurs in hospital
1. Contact funeral directors to inform them that their services will be required.
2. Collect doctor’s certificate from hospital.
1. Take the death certificate to the Registrar’s office for the area in which the death took place.
Also take the deceased’s medical card if available.
2. Take the green form to the funeral directors who will take over complete responsibility for arranging the funeral.