What To Do If Someone Dies
It is a legal requirement for a doctor to confirm that someone has passed away. There is no need to move the patient. If a doctor has recently seen the patient, a death certificate can normally be issued. However, in the event of unexpected death, the doctor will need to notify the coroner.
If death occurs at home
- Telephone the doctor. He or she will visit to confirm death has taken place.
- Contact the funeral director.
- Collect doctor’s death certificate from the surgery. (You will be told when this will be available for collection.)
When death occurs in hospital
- Contact funeral directors to inform them that their services will be required.
- Collect doctor’s certificate from hospital.
- Take the death certificate to the Registrar’s office for the area in which the death took place.
Also take the deceased’s medical card if available.
- Take the green form to the funeral directors who will take over complete responsibility for arranging the funeral.